The Department of Philosophy and Humanities began its existence in September 1978, then it was called the Department of Philosophy. The founder of the department, its first head is Doctor of Philosophy, Professor Shanovsky V.K. (head of the department from 1978 to 1983, and from 1988 to 1992).
From 1983 to 1988, the department was headed by associate professor, Ph.D. Slobodyanyuk P.S., from 1992 to 2004, associate professor, PhD in philosophy Kolos O.V., since 2004, the chair is headed by Doctor of Philosophy, Professor Khoma OI During the existence of the department, its Ph.D. theses were defended by 15 teachers (Shanovsky V.K., Ratnikov VS, Khoma OI), 4 individual monographs were published (Prof. Shanovsky V.K., Ratnikov V. S., Khoma O. I.), 3 collections of scientific articles, the heads of the authors' collectives of which were prof. Kedrovsky O.I., Assoc. Kolos OV, prof. Ratnikov VS Professor O. Khomoy was issued over 10 academic translations of philosophical works of French authors.
According to the Decree of the rector No. 35-0 of February 1, 1990, on the basis of the section "Aesthetics-Ethics-Atheism", which existed at the Department of Philosophy since 1988, the Department of History and Theory of Culture was created, and subsequently it received a new name: the Department of Culturology, Sociology , psychology and pedagogy. The chair was founded and headed by the candidate of philosophical sciences, professor T.B.Buyalska. She is the author and organizer of the implementation of the project "Humanization of technical education in the EPI (search of own ways, methods, forms)" supported by the rector academician of the Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of Ukraine B.I.Mokin and the rector of the EPI.
Since May 1993, the Rector's Order No. 134-0 "On the reorganization of the CCC and the creation of the Central Committee and the Sun", the Department of History and Theory of Culture became a part of the Center of Culturology and Student Education (CC and Sun), leaving behind the organizational and scientific and methodological guidance for such structural units of the Central Committee and the Supreme Council as: educational and artistic laboratories; IPI club; room of the periodicals; laboratory for creation of artistic interior of the premises of the institute and park area.
At the department, the psychological support service has been working and functioning, where counseling is carried out, various trainings are held, lectures on current problems of contemporary psychology and psychological club "Policeman" work.
In September 2012 the Department of Culturology, Sociology, Psychology and Pedagogy with the Department of Philosophy took place, as a result of which the Department of Philosophy and Humanities, headed by Professor Khoma OI, appeared.
The main scientific areas of the department are the philosophy of science and technology, the history of philosophy of modern times, philosophy and history of culture, gender studies, psychological and pedagogical problems of higher education.
The department has been conducting research on the following state budget themes:
- Methodological problems of engineering activity / Ker. prof. Kedrovsky O.I.
- Spirituality and technical progress: the problem of harmonization / 1995-1996, Head of the Assoc. Kolos O. V.
- Spiritual principles of technical creativity / 1997-1998, head prof. Kedrovsky O.I.
- Philosophical-anthropological principles as a basis for the development of the Ukrainian social ideal / 1997-1998, Head of the Assoc. Kornienko Z. O.
- Postmodernist tendencies in modern science and culture / 1999-2001, head prof. Ratnikov V. S.
- Analysis of the formation of a political ideal in the practical plane of national state-building / 1999-2002, head prof. Kedrovsky O.I.
- Problem of scientific rationality in epistemological and socio-cultural contexts / 2002-2004, head prof. Ratnikov V.S.
- Philosophy of human rights, concept of gender, the problem of gender justice / 2002-2004, head prof. Khoma O.I.
- Modern Thinking: Universalism and Understanding Strategies / 2004-2006, head of prof. Khoma O.I.